This class was one that included some valuable information, but also included a lot of content that I felt could have been replaced with something a bit more relevant and challenging for a 400-level elective class.
This class did provide a basic introduction to marketing through social media outlets and provided tips that would have been helpful to those new to marketing on social media platforms, such as how to properly promote a brand through different social media outlets and utilizing the features of each to be able to successfully operate a campaign. If a student had never been introduced at all to social media marketing, this course would have been more valuable to them. Unfortunately, I am not that student.
I have been introduced to social media, search engine optimization, and online marketing many times before, and much of this content was somewhat basic to me, and I didn't feel as though I was introduced to many new concepts that I wasn't already aware of. Taking a 400-level class, I expected more in-depth Internet marketing information rather than being taught the features of each social media platform and the basics on how to use them, which is something more suited for a
One aspect I did enjoy was the team project at the end of the class. I enjoyed using my abilities to assist with a real campaign for a real entity, and I felt as though that was something that could apply to a career in the future.
I was not a big fan of the weekly blog posts, not so much because of the blogging itself, but because it was arranged in an odd manner. We were encouraged to start a blog about anything we wanted, but were then given prompts to respond to that really didn't relate to many of our blog topics. I feel as though many blogs seemed to lack a concise purpose because they were fun posts about various topics, but then had to be mixed with blog assignments that didn't always relate to the rest of the content. I like the idea of blogging, but perhaps it could be done in a more effective manner.
Overall, I found this class to be a good refresher course on the basics of social media marketing and Internet promotion, and I did enjoy the final project, but I did feel as though the class could have used some more in-depth, higher level thinking on the ideas behind social media marketing.
No comments:
Post a Comment